Friday 27 September 2013

Module 9

Online Networks
Scootle: this is a great resource that I have used in the past and will continue to use. It is really useful to have a bank of online resources linked to the Australian Curriculum and reviewed by other teachers. Learning Paths give students the opportunity to access set resources from home or school, engaging students in an inquiry-based approach to learning which is likely to be engaging.
The Scootle community is available, but I don't think I can face another virtual community anytime soon.
Second Life: I can appreciate that there may be educational opportunities within this virtual world, but I won't be pursuing them. I believe that students spend more than enough time in virtual simulations of the real world and there are much more appropriate examples of educational simulations which are not so engrossing and which link more clearly to learning objectives, e.g. australianhistorymysteries.info

Facebook: It's important to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this social network with students (especially bullying and privacy) and this discussion should lead to an exploration of more appropriate networking opportunities for primary school children.
Twitter: I am aware of schools using Twitter to update parents on daily events. I can't see any other significant advantage to using this network in the classroom.
LinkedIn: I am not really interested in this network.

No comments:

Post a Comment